[packman] ffmpeg not in monolithic repository

Neil Darlow neil at darlow.co.uk
Mon Apr 4 13:12:31 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Sunday 03 Apr 2011 23:13:23 Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> But it contained a regression before it was merged into FFmpeg.

So libav introduced features that were less than perfect while the ffmpeg
project chose to wait until they were?

> Fortunately, you do not have to believe me to know that this is not
> correct, you just have to read the explanation from the ffmpeg-mt
> developer:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/124245

My information was taken from the libav website's explanation for their
existence. Maybe I should have consulted the ffmpeg project for their
perspective on why libav came about. I'm sure there are reasons, both good and
bad, on both sides.

> Note that FFmpeg contains several features missing in the fork, video
> filters among them. (No features from the fork are missing in FFmpeg, the
> fork just contains less fixes for user-reported bugs.)

I don't know how to interpret that. libav removed features from ffmpeg. Is
there an inference that libav removed troublesome features or it is that their
development model provides less manpower or time for bug fixes.

Correctness of my statement apart, I am sure that Manfred switched from ffmpeg
to libav for good reasons. I also expect he was aware of any defiencies
introduced by making the switch before he committed to doing so.

Regards,
Neil Darlow