[packman] Please compile vlc with --enable-run-as-root

Pascal Bleser pascal.bleser at skynet.be
Tue May 18 18:54:45 CEST 2010

On Friday 14 May 2010 10:58:39 Toni wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 13. Mai 2010 schrieb Alexander Shaduri:
> > Hello,
>
> <snip>
>
> > I just want to run it with *my* user (which happens to be root
> > sometimes). I don't understand why is it should be restricted.
>
> If YOU want to work as root, YOU should recompile the package for YOUR
> needs :)
>
> We won't provide such NON-Standard packages for a single user (YOU).
>
> Perhaps search in google: "why not running programs as user root"

I guess that what we could do is provide a --with flag when we build the next
release of VLC, that would make it somewhat easier to rebuild the package that
way.

But I agree, 99.999% of users shouldn't run VLC as root for good reason, and
this feature helps protecting them (of themselves, arguably).

cheers
--
  -o) Pascal Bleser     http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/
  /\\ <pascal.bleser at skynet.be>       <guru at unixtech.be>