[packman] [PM] kde4-kdenlive 0.7.6-0.pm.1.3 (openSUSE 11.1/i586)

oldcpu oldcpu at opensuse-forums.org
Thu Feb 18 21:23:10 CET 2010

Jakub, your GeForce 7900 GS can only take advantage of VDPAU to a very
limited extent (if at all), and you likely will see no VDPAU benefit in
kdelive for most (if not all) videos.

Note this URL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU  which notes the
GeForce 7 (7xxx) series Nvidia VDPAU feature set is "not supported".
The MS-Windows Pure Video is limited to VP1 and the Linux VDPAU has less
capabilities than Pure Video (on Windows) for the GeForce 7xxx.

I'm fortunate because I have one of the latest GeForce 8400 GS (with a
G98 GPU w/ VP3 Nvidia VDPAU Feature Set B support) on my somewhat
ancient 32-bit Athlon-2800 cpu PC;

... but  I have a GeForce GTX 260 with a GTX 200 GPU w/VP2 and Nvidia
VDPAU Feature Set A support on my much newer and much faster Intel Core
i7 920 based PC (although the i7 is so fast as to not need VDPAU).

Glad to read you have success with kdenlive 0.7.7 packaged by RedDwarf.
A caution there ... grab the source file from him, as he packages for
himself and does not maintain his packages to the same extent as the
Packman Packagers.

Myself?  I prefer stability over cutting edge, and hence I am happy with
the current KDEnlive packaged by Packman and prefer caution when
KDEnlive updates are made.

Lee

p.s. I wrote the little I researched about VDPAU here:
http://en.opensuse.org/Video_editing/avchd