[packman] OBS 2.x and new repository layout

Pascal Bleser pascal.bleser at opensuse.org
Fri Dec 31 16:43:11 CET 2010

On 2010-12-31 14:36:57 (+0000), Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser at ...> writes:
>
> > So the idea with "option 3" would be to provide both:
> > - we would keep the current approach in the "regular" repository (or
> >   repositories)
> > - we would also *additionally* provide a frozen repository with the
> >   "essential" packages (as said, ffmpeg, mplayer, mad, gstreamer, ...),
> >   and only update those when there are critical bugfixes or security
> >   fixes
>
> (I of course can't speak for gstreamer - we believe it simply serves no
> real-world purpose and that is of course meant polemically - and I don't think
> any Packman user needs mad, I at least can't imagine a situation. Was mad really
> updated lately?)
> There is nothing "stable" that you could use as "frozen repository" in FFmpeg
> and MPlayer (there were only too few updates to Packman MPlayer in the last
> months). So far, the so-called "releases" always were ancient (and therefore
> unusable) at the time of the "release". They only exist because it allows to add
> FFmpeg to the Ubuntu repositories. End-users should never get in touch with them
> (and no bug-reports are accepted for anything else than latest svn).
> While this may sound as if, it is not meant polemically, I am just trying to
> stop you from doing something that does not help any user (and you seem to agree
> that it would mean some extra work)!

With "stable" I did _not_ mean a "release", at least not for ffmpeg and
mplayer which don't make any releases anyway.

I meant "something that works", and keep it at that version instead of
updating it all the time.

If we have a combination of ffmpeg, mplayer, vlc, mad, gstreamer and a few other
things that _do_ work, there is no reason for most people to always get
the latest version. It works, that's good enough for most.

[...]

cheers
--
  -o) Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser at opensuse.org>