[packman] OBS 2.x and new repository layout

Herbert Graeber herbert at links2linux.de
Fri Dec 31 15:32:19 CET 2010

Moin Detlef

First, you missed the important part of my mail, that is the handling similar
to openSUSE:Contrib, that means having frozen repos for each openSUSE
distribution that can be used without big hassle and unimportant updates by
the average user.

Am Freitag, 31. Dezember 2010, 13:46:43 schrieb Detlef Reichelt:
> Am Fri, 31 Dec 2010 13:16:18 +0100
>
> schrieb Herbert Graeber <herbert at links2linux.de>:
> > I would like to have a variant of option 3 on top of option 2:
> >
> > codecs:11.2
> > multimedia:11.2
> > games:11.2
> > stuff:11.2
>
> hm, why codecs and multimedia?

I have taken this part from pascals mail. I think pascal wan'ts to take the
essential packages to support mp3 and various video codecs (mplayer, xine, vlc
and their dependencies) in codecs repository. Everything else should go to the
multimedia repository. That's the mayjority and the average user does not need
that stuff.

> multimedia (1)
> contrib (all other stuff)
> games
>
> In (1) we should provide all libs and apps which are crippled by
> openSUSE (linked to obs) _and_ most wanted apps/libs that are not
> shipped with openSUSE, for example vlc/mplayer/mad/ffmpeg etc.

There are many multimedia packages really unimportant for most machines. My
mythtv packages for example and some more more related to video and music
production.

> Newer version of vlc should be build in contrib and if we don't get
> bugreports for some time, it could be add in multimedia.

I am not sure if openSUSE will have a crippled vlc, too. At least there is a
vlc phonon backend, which seems to work better than the xine one.

> And if we have directories on vesta like
>
> openSUSE_11.3/multimedia
> openSUSE_11.3/conrib
> openSUSE_11.3/games
>
> we could run a createrepo on openSUSE_11.3 with repodata in
> openSUSE_11.3/repodata. So we could offer packman as big
> repo too. Never tried this, but should work... ;)

I do not like that big mega giga repo. It makes it difficult for me to have my
small mirror of essential things (eg. the codecs repo) and take the rest out
of the big net.

I think the use of repos could be much easier with explicit Repo dependencies
(Requires, Recommends), like for patterns and packages. So adding a more high
level repo (eg. games) to pull in automatically the more low level ones
(multimedia and/or codecs).

Herbert
Arthur C. Clarke