[packman] OBS 2.x and new repository layout

Pascal Bleser pascal.bleser at opensuse.org
Fri Dec 31 01:53:25 CET 2010

On 2010-12-31 01:43:22 (+0100), Marcel Gmür <packman at ammler.ch> wrote:
> You could also "safe" some build power by simply not building
> packages, which are already built and maintained at obs, e.g. I had
> some zypper dup issues with p7zip or some games like openttd. Are
> those 2 packages really the only ones?

Oh, no, there are many more than those.

There are basically two "positions" on that:
1) yes, you're right, it's pointless and there is much more build power
on build.o.o (also a lot more packagers though ;))
2) we had those packages first, it's not ours to remove, and the people
who are using the packman repository also use packman because of those
(and only want to add one big repository instead of a dozen of
repositories from build.o.o)

I'm probably exaggerating position 2, and it's not difficult to find out
which one I'm endorsing *cough*, but it's a somewhat loaded discussion.

cheers
--
  -o) Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser at opensuse.org>
  /\\ http://opensuse.org -- I took the green pill