[packman] fpc (and further ?) packages linkin from api.opensuse.org ?

Adrian Schröter adrian at suse.de
Wed Nov 25 10:04:44 CET 2009

Am Mittwoch, 25. November 2009 09:05:39 schrieb Toni:
> Am Mittwoch, 25. November 2009 schrieb Adrian Schröter:
> > Hi Tongra and others,
> >
> > thanks a lot for your work on the fpc package. I copied it into the
> > devel:languages:pascal project of build.opensuse.org to get it working
> > again (and up to date).
>
> sometimes it is a messy package, but the fedora people are often faster and
> have the needed patches and/or workarounds ...

Okay, there was a guy in IRC called "dbuck" who had also interesst in
maintaining this package btw. Dunno about his abilities.

> > Pascal suggest that we may should maintain it in build.opensuse.org and
> > just create a source link in main project of packman build service.
> >
> > I would add you as maintainer in the devel:languages:pascal project in
> > that case.
> >
> > What is your opinion about that ?
>
> I need this fpc / lazarus packages for a handful of packman packages
> (cactusjukebox, dargui, easymp3gain, peazip, scrabble, winff, gearhead2,
> hedgewars). Those programs needs mostly the actual stable versions of fpc
>  and lazarus, so it should be possible to move this package to OBS.

Okay, you could just create a _link file in your packaman package pointing to
project="openSUSE.org:devel:languages:pascal" package="fpc".

So you have always the lasted source building in packman.

And if you tell me your user account in build.opensuse.org, I will add you to
the project there, so you could directly work there.

> I don't test the tools itself, only the generated programs. In case of
>  lazarus I use only the CLI to compile the programs and do only a quicktest
>  with the GUI. If you can accept this, we can move it over.
>
> Perhaps a second maintainer, with deeper pascal knowledge, for those
>  packages would be good idea.
>
> > Are there other packages where such a setup would make sense ?
>
> lazarus, the IDE for fpc would than make sense too
>
> Other develpment tools like llvm and jam are also candidates.
>
> I already linked the dosbox package from Ludwig and the ghc package from
>  the haskell repository to our repo.
>
> On the other side, I'm not a friend of splitting in "millions" of
> subrepositories, and if someone wants to install one of the above programs
> and can't do it because she/he had to add a special repo to fulfill the
> dependecies leads often to a flood of emails and needs more support from
>  us. So I would prefer to publish those packages in our repository.
>
> This leads to the question, why not linking parts of the packman-repsitory
>  to build.opensuse.org ?

This is a policy and legal question. By policy we defined our instance as
root, so we don't create projects with remote instances (or using the DoD
feature) there at all.

On the legal side we would have special problems with the packman instance I
think.

bye
adrian

--