[packman] wma not functioning in openSUSE-11.2

Manfred Tremmel manfred at links2linux.de
Sun Nov 15 14:08:26 CET 2009

Am Sonntag, 15. November 2009 schrieb oldcpu:
> A correction to my last, wma does function in most openSUSE-11.2
>  media players. One of my test files was a beach video, and the waves
>  sounded like static :) My apologies for my global statement which
>  was incorrect. I have now changed to different test file(s) [see
>  links below]
>
> More accurately, the problem to 11.2 now is:
> * .wma does not play in MPlayer in 11.2 (it works fine in 11.1). It
>  only gives static for audio in 11.2. Only the video in a .wmv file
>  plays in MPlayer in 11.2.
> * the video in a ".wmv" does not play in "vlc" in neither 11.2 nor
>  11.1 (but the .wma audio plays).
>
> Note both .wma/.wmv works in xine.

Fine.

> Now that I have confused things with my earlier email, shall I repost
>  to the list server with specific queries to the vlc and MPlayer
>  packagers?

We are all listening to you, when your mail arives
packman at links2linux.de

> Test files:
> * wma: http://www.theflute.co.uk/htmlMain/samplemusicW.htm (try the
>  file "Allegro" )
> * wmv: http://www.jhepple.com/support/sample_movies1.htm (try
> "NiceDay.wmv" file at the bottom of the page)

I've downloaded the "Allegro" example and played with xine, vlc and
mplayer without any problem. The video "niceday.wmv" makes a little bit
problems mplayer has no video when playing niceday.wmv (Video: no
video), xine and vlc only play I-frames ([wmv3 @ 0xfd42f0]Old WMV3
version detected, only I-frames will be decoded) but Sound is ok in any
case.

What output do you get, when you try to play one of this two files from
a konsole window ("xine niceday.wmv" or "vlc  niceday.wmv" or "mplayer
niceday.wmv")?

> My installed software in 11.2:
>
> oldcpu at stonehenge01:~> rpm --query --all 'libav*' 'libpostproc*'
> 'libswscale*' '*xine*' '*gst*' MPlayer '*codec*' '*vlc*' | grep -v
>  avahi | sort

Looks to be up2date.

--
Machs gut    | http://www.iivs.de/schwinde/buerger/tremmel/