[packman] [PM] libvdpau 0.2-0.pm.2.1 (openSUSE 11.2/i586)

oldcpu oldcpu at opensuse-forums.org
Sun Nov 8 09:17:07 CET 2009

Pascal Bleser wrote:
> We package that shim library, that only contains the headers and the
> "trace" (non-)implementation.
>
> Basically, it's to avoid having to build against the nvidia-only VPDAU
> library.
>
> At runtime, you need to have the proprietary nVidia driver installed, as
> it ships the "libvdpau_nvidia.so" library, which is detected and loaded
> at runtime.

Thank you for packaging this.   I'm trying to understand this so that I
can help test the openSUSE VDPAU implementation.

>From what I read from here:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg-announce/2009-September/001036.html
the first release of the libvdpau package (v.0.2)

" ... contains the libvdpau wrapper library and the libvdpau_trace debugging library, along with the header files needed to build VDPAU applications.  To actually use a VDPAU device, you need
a vendor-specific implementation library.  Currently, this is always libvdpau_nvidia.  You can override the driver name by setting the VDPAU_DRIVER environment variable."

This appears to be the same as what your noted (the shim library) and
hence supported.  Thank you.

I have two PCs with hardware that support VDPAU.  Currently VDPAU works
well on both PCs with MPlayer and the proprietary nVidia graphic driver .

Specifics: One is a relatively new PC with a PCI-e nVidia GeForce GTX260
(using the nVidia proprietary 64-bit 190.42 driver on openSUSE-11.1).
The other is a much older PC with a PCI nVidia GeForce 8400 GS (using
the nVidia proprietary 32-bit 190.42 driver on openSUSE-11.1).  Both
currently have libvdpau-devel-0.2-0.pm.1.1,  libvdpau1-0.2-0.pm.1.1 and
MPlayer-1.0rc2_r29796-2.pm.2.1.

I'm hoping that hardware is useful for testing the libvdpau package for
both 32 and 64-bit.  As noted, they currently work well (the older PC is
especially impressive (relatively) when playing supported video formats).

I install my nVidia proprietary drivers by running the .run package
provided by nVidia. Its not clear to me in the future if I will need the
libvdpau rpms installed BEFORE custom building the proprietary nVidia
driver on my PC (with their .run package) for the VDPAU to work with the
nVidia driver. But I'll find out when the time comes. :)

Its looking like this openSUSE wiki
http://en.opensuse.org/Video_editing/avchd will need updating. :)