[packman] [PM] songbird 1.1.1-0.pm.5 (openSUSE 11.1/x86_64)

Wolfgang Rosenauer wolfgang at rosenauer.org
Wed Mar 25 14:15:45 CET 2009

Hi again,

Toni schrieb:
> Am Mittwoch, 25. März 2009 schrieb:
>> Toni schrieb:

>>> those libraries are "hidden" in the package, otherwise the songbird
>>> package will be handled as a provider for those libs by the installers
>>> and conflicts with existing xulrunner/taglib packages.
>>> And when rpm installs this package it detects these libs internally. So
>>> this is attended.
>> Hmm, then I missed a change in RPM. Back when I was doing things like
>> that it didn't notice the internal provides unless they were actually in
>> the exported RPM provides.
>> When did that change in RPM?

Ok, you are wrong. I just verified with a test openSUSE 11.1
installation. If no package is installed which actually exports the
stuff above RPM refuses to install your songbird package because of
these missing dependencies.
As I wrote it's a bug that you require other packages while you don't
need to.
Please fix that. (I could give you some advice on that since I have some
experience with that stuff)

>>> read the comments in the spec file:
>>> # Songbird requires an upstream patched xulrunner and taglib to function
>>> properly.
>>>
>>> And as long upstream insists in having a own private xulrunner version
>>> nad taglib version, this is the onlypossibility to provide this package.
>>> They even don't fix known issues in the emebedded xulrunner package.
>>>
>>> Formerly they needed also a complete internal gstreamer framework .... So
>>> things are getting better with each release.
>> That all has nothing to do with NSPR and NSS though ;-)
> songbird is only compilable and working with the sources from the
> songbird-vendor tarball. xulrunner was a example, same for the nspr and nss.
>
> http://wiki.songbirdnest.com/Developer/Articles/Builds/Contributed_Builds
>
> If you want a songbird linked against system installed libraries, file a bug
> to songbird upstream ...
> I would also prefer such a package as it safes a lot of patching and compile
> time for me and other package providers.

It was just a suggestion. No need to argue about. I can't find any
reference that Songbird patches NSPR or NSS for anything though and that
would make it possible to use system provided libs but no worries.

Wolfgang