[packman] MPlayer VDPAU

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Mar 24 00:33:23 CET 2009

Manfred Tremmel <manfred at ...> writes:

> > I contains code that allows video players with vdpau support to
> > actually use hardware accelerated decoding. AFAIK, (sadly) only
> > MPlayer currently uses this approach. Since packman's MPlayer uses
> > static libavcodec (as it should), it does not make much difference if
> > your ffmpeg binary supports vdpau (for video players) or not.
>
> Maybe others will use it, we have different players using external
> ffmpeg (libxine, vlc, gstreamer, maybe more).

I hope so.
vlc will (hopefully), since they are still working on it.
The only xine implementation I found is here:
http://www.jusst.de/vdpau/filedetails.php?repname=xine-vdpau&path=%2Fsrc%2Flibvdpau%2Fvdpau_h264.c
It is a nice example of "include all the problems of Nvidia's original
implementation". I hope that is not the final version.

Carl Eugen