[packman] MPlayer VDPAU

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Mar 23 17:01:27 CET 2009

Manfred Tremmel <manfred at ...> writes:

> > > I'll build it with vdpau support.
> >
> > While I fear nobody is currently using it: Please do so!
>
> I don't have a GPU which supports vdpau (end even if I had, I wouldn't
> use it as longe there's no free driver which supports it), but I've
> tested the vdpau supported codecs on my non vdpau computers. It doesn't
> have any negativ effect (it workes like before and I can't see any
> speed differences), so why not including it?

As I said, please include, but I'd like to add that contrary to what you might
have read lately from seamingly competent sources, ffmpeg itself does *not*
support vdpau currently.
I contains code that allows video players with vdpau support to actually use
hardware accelerated decoding. AFAIK, (sadly) only MPlayer currently uses this
approach. Since packman's MPlayer uses static libavcodec (as it should), it does
not make much difference if your ffmpeg binary supports vdpau (for video
players) or not.

Carl Eugen