[packman] sane-backends requires hotplug

Rui Santos rsantos at ruisantos.com
Tue May 6 21:09:33 CEST 2008

Manfred Tremmel wrote:
> Am Montag, 5. Mai 2008 schrieb Rui Santos:
>> Manfred Tremmel wrote:

>>> In 10.3 hotplug is provided by udev. When you update udev, doesn't
>>> the new package provide hotplug?
>> No, it specific obsoletes it...
>
> Install the sane source-rpm, remove the requires entry in the spec file
> and recompile it. I don't think it will make trouble.

Nice :) Haven't thought of that... Thanks.

> I can't provide a package for each update tree out of the normal
> openSUSE YOU update.

It was not my intention of even suggest that.
But, if you look at udev's openSUSE Factory at
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/suse/i586/udev-120-6.i586.rpm
you can see in the openSUSE's changelog, that after udev-120, hotplug is
remove as stated as '- remove ancient Obsoletes: hotplug" on that
specific changelog.
Just be ware that it seems that openSUSE 11.0 will provide no hotplug (
  from an rpm provides point of view ) on it's udev.

>>> In 10.3 it requires hotplug to change the rights on removable
>>> devices.
>> Oh! no removal then ?!
>
> udev provides the hotplug mechanism, if there is a Provides entry, or
> not.

Yes. So why not replace the hotplug requirement udev? If it suits all,
then it's a good thing, right ?

--
Rui Santos
http://www.ruisantos.com/