[packman] [PM] mediatomb 0.11.0 (openSUSE 10.3/i586)

Toni toni at links2linux.de
Sat Dec 20 17:47:04 CET 2008

Am Samstag, 20. Dezember 2008 schrieb Stefan.Bergler at web.de:
> Hi!
>
> I had severe problems getting mediatomb up running / responding. I solved
> it changing the following points (in order of importance):
>
> In /etc/mediatomb/config.xml change:
> <home>/etc/mediatomb</home>
> <home>/var/lib/mediatomb</home>
> then mediatomb should be running / be accessible over http!
> (By the way, the file /var/lib/mediatomb/config.xml is / was a copy of
> /etc/init.d/mediatomb )
did you copy over those files yourself to /var/lib/mediatomb ?
And I guess you are using the sqlite variant, because those directories are
created by the package mediatomb-sqlite. The sample config.xml I'm using
where provided a user George Pantazis, but AFAIK he was using a mysql
database. So I'll check this and perhaps I need to provide a sample config
for each database back-end.

> In /etc/init.d/mediatomb change the chown statements. Mediatomb is started
> as user 'mediatomb' therefore it has no access to the files if they belong
> to 'nobody'. E.g. change
>  chown nobody $MT_PIDFILE
>  chown "${MT_USER}:${MT_GROUP}" $MT_PIDFILE
why ?
the run-level scripts are started from a root account on machine boot up, the
pid-file contains no information. And mediatomb does nothing with this file.
It should contain the pid of the mediatomb for killing the process. At the
moment this is done with killproc. So the actual run-level script implies
that only one mediatomb process is running on one machine.

> I also changed the used IP to use the Interface, although that should not
> be required. But if getting the IP address it is a good idea to do a
>  export LC_ALL=POSIX
> before calling any commands. My root account comes up with german messages
> by default! I did not change / set this, but that's the way the standard
> configuration does it. Alternative you may replace
> IFACE_IP=`ifconfig | grep -i "$MT_INTERFACE" -A 1|grep "inet addr"|cut -d "
> " -f 12|cut -d ":" -f 2` with
> IFACE_IP=`LC_ALL=POSIX ifconfig | grep -i "$MT_INTERFACE" -A 1|grep "inet
> addr"|cut -d " " -f 12|cut -d ":" -f 2`
this is a good fix, I'll add this in next release, my root-account is in
english so the command is working for me. But in other languages the output
could differ and the grep won't match.

> Nevertheless, many thanks providing mediatomb!
thx for feedback and proposed improvals!

> Merry Christmas and a happy new year from Munich,
Merry Christmas and a happy New Year from Wiesbaden,

--
have fun
Toni