[packman] Packman and Contrib cooperation

Marek Stopka (M4r3k) marekstopka at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 21:32:05 CET 2008

It is quite simple, why Novell Build Service is better place for our packages.

1. We still don't have Build Service as our build server, so we don't
have such a nice feature like reverse dependency tree is (I mean when
libfoo is changed all packages requiring libfoo are not rebuilded
automaticaly)
2. Currently it is mostly everyone on his own cooperation between
packagers is not very big and I think a lot of users at NBS (Novell
Build Service) is a big advantage to keep our packages at high
quality. OBS is better platform for cooperation.
3. If Novell can provide such a service like security team attention
in NBS then it is silly don't use this offer.
4. Better resources. We can use infrastructure provided by Novell
instead of our own and that our own use for something else like
Factory build of packman, because I think you all agree Factory build
of packman repository is not affordable for as at this time, we have
only one build server and A LOT OF PACKAGES in our repo.

So I think we not necessary have to migrate our package to NBS, but we
need to start using OBS on our architecture.