[packman] Re: [PM] pulseaudio 0.9.7 (openSUSE 10.3/x86_64)

Toni toni at links2linux.de
Tue Nov 13 20:55:10 CET 2007

Am Dienstag, 13. November 2007 schrieb Wade Berrier:
> Hi Toni,
>
> I installed pulseaudio from 10.3, and then upgraded all packages from
> packman with zypper.
>
> The problem is that not all of my installed pulse packages were
> upgraded:
>
> berrier:/ # rpm -qa | grep pul
>
> **pulseaudio-devel-0.9.6-39
> libao-pulse-0.9.3-32
> pulseaudio-0.9.7-0.pm.2
> alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.14-41
> gstreamer010-pulse-0.9.5-0.pm.1
> libpulsecore4-0.9.7-0.pm.2
> **pulseaudio-libs-0.9.6-39
>
> There's not an upgrade path for:
>
> pulseaudio-devel
> pulseaudio-libs
If I add obsoletes and requires for all possible pulseaudio packages, that
will be a fulltime job. Sorry, if SuSE is propagating standards and don't act
and package their packages after these standards, I don't see the necessity
to change my package layout.
Perhaps you should file a bug on bugzilla for changing the package-layout of
the pulseaudio packages according to the SuSE-Shared-Library Policy.

> You could add obsoletes/provides so that libpulse-devel is installed and
> pulseaudio-libs removed, but it seems it would be simpler to use the
> same packaging scheme that pulseaudio uses in 10.3.
No, not at all. I won't follow "old wrong package layouts".

> What are the benefits to splitting the libs into subpackages?  Doing so
> seems to complicates the upgrade path.
No it doesn't, see details of the Shared Library Policy:
http://en.opensuse.org/Shared_Library_Packaging_Policy

The simplest solution for you: delete all pulseaudio packages and reinstall
the packman packages.

And if you mixed up your system with packages from the build-system, you are
expienced enough to do so.

And to use pulseaudio, it is not needed to install the devel-packages.

> Thanks!
> Wade
have fun
Toni