[packman] Re: [Jackit-devel] jackdmp: unknown driver 'portaudio'

Stéphane Letz letz at grame.fr
Tue Feb 20 10:34:10 CET 2007

Le 20 févr. 07 à 09:34, Norbert Schmidt a écrit :

> [...]
>>> arg 1 -R
>>> arg 2 -S
>>> arg 3 -v
>>> arg 4 -d
>>> arg 5 portaudio
>>> arg 6 -p
>>> arg 7 512
>>> jackdmp: unknown driver 'portaudio'
>

>> It seems you have a installation problem:
>>
>> - where is located regular jackd? (/usr/ or /usr/local)
>
> rpm -ql jack-0.102.20-42.pm.1
>
> /usr/bin/jack_bufsize
> /usr/bin/jack_freewheel
> /usr/bin/jack_load
> /usr/bin/jack_unload
> /usr/bin/jackd
> /usr/lib/jack
> /usr/lib/jack/inprocess.so
> /usr/lib/jack/intime.so
> /usr/lib/jack/jack_alsa.so
> /usr/lib/jack/jack_dummy.so
> /usr/lib/jack/jack_oss.so
> /usr/lib/jack/jack_portaudio.so
> /usr/lib/libjack.so.0
> /usr/lib/libjack.so.0.0.23
>
>> - jackdmp install script tries to override the existing jackd
>> installation so that clients can still use libjack.so to acess the
>> server. By default jackdmp install itself in /usr/local/xxx and tries
>> to override jackd also installed in /usr/local/xxx.
>
> yes, everything seems to work this way, package jackdmp has:
>
> rpm -ql jackdmp-0.62-0.pm.1
>
> /usr/bin/jackdmp
> /usr/lib/jackmp
> /usr/lib/jackmp/jack_alsa.so
> /usr/lib/jackmp/jack_dummy.so
> /usr/lib/libjackdmp.so
> /usr/lib/libjackmp.so
> /usr/share/doc/packages/jackdmp
> /usr/share/doc/packages/jackdmp/ChangeLog
> /usr/share/doc/packages/jackdmp/README
>

> the scripts included:
>
> postinstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
> (
> cd /usr/lib
> [ -f libjack.so.0.0.23 ] && \
>         /bin/mv -f libjack.so.0.0.23 tmp_libjack.so.0.0.23 && \
>         echo "original jack saved as tmp_libjack.so.0.0.23" || :
> /bin/rm -f libjack.so*
> ln -s libjackdmp.so libjack.so.0
> )
> /sbin/ldconfig
>
> postuninstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
> (
> cd /usr/lib
> /bin/rm -f libjack.so*
> [ -f tmp_libjack.so.0.0.23 ] && \
>         /bin/mv -f tmp_libjack.so.0.0.23 libjack.so.0.0.23 && \
>         ln -s libjack.so.0.0.23 libjack.so.0 && \
>         ln -s libjack.so.0.0.23 libjack.so && \
>         echo "original jack restored" || echo "jack not restored"
> )
> /sbin/ldconfig
>

> so now we have:
>
> /usr/lib # ls -l /usr/lib/libjack*
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 320960 18. Feb 11:45 /usr/lib/libjackdmp.so
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 217192 18. Feb 11:45 /usr/lib/libjackmp.so
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     13 20. Feb 08:28 /usr/lib/libjack.so.0 -
> > libjackdmp.so
>
> Clients can connect /usr/lib/libjack.so.0 but starting ardour

So you mean simple clients (like jack_lsp, jack_connect, jack_metro)
can connect?

I don't understand why ardour tries to launch jackdmp  witch the
portaudio driver... this does not make any sense. The portaudio
driver is supposed to be used on Windows only (maybe on OSX)

Have you asked on the ardour mailing list?

> by the way portaudio is available:
> rpm -qa|grep  portaudio
> portaudio-devel-19-114
> portaudio18-18.1-0.pm.2
> portaudio20-20.0-0.pm.2
> portaudio-19-114
> portaudio20-devel-20.0-0.pm.2
> portaudio18-devel-18.1-0.pm.2
>

>>> Maybe important: In order to have jackd running again I have to
>>> uninstall
>>> jackdmp, otherwise I get:
>>> jackd -R -p128 -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n2
>>> jackd: symbol lookup error: jackd: undefined symbol:
>>> _jack_get_microseconds
>
> Do I understand it right: it's meant that clients can use /usr/lib/
> libjack.so.0
> (symlink), and both jackd OR jackdmp should work as server that way?
> Or is that symlink just to give clients connectivity to jackdmp?
>
> Thank you for reading that all, but I want to have it solved.
>
> Norbert

The libjack.so.0 symlink gives connectivity to whatever jackd *OR*
jackdmp  is installed : when jackdmp installs, it *overwrite* symlink
to point to likjackdmp.so. Then jack clients can connect to a running
jackdmp server. The jackd server cannot be launched anymore at this
point, you would have to "remove" jackdmp to rewrite back the correct
symlink, so that the jackd server can be used again.

Stephane