[packman] Re: Local OBS works here

"Andrés G. Aragoneses [ knocte ]" knocte at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 13:24:48 CEST 2007

Pascal Bleser escribió:

> Pascal Bleser wrote:
>> Andrés G. Aragoneses [ knocte ] wrote:
> [...]
>>> - More distros targeted although less maintenance.
>> Not sure about "less maintenance". The problem is that it doesn't work
>> out-of-the-box as of now, and requires a lot of tweaking.
>
> And I stand corrected.
> Just finished setting up a local OBS on my build box and it took me half
> an hour fixing wrong defaults but it wasn't all that bad.
>
> OK, so a local OBS isn't much work to set up.
> I guess it was the case a few months ago when a few of us evaluated
> installing a local OBS (I wasn't involved though, can only relate to
> what was said at that time).
>
>> Furthermore, it doesn't have an adequate end-user interface and
>> integrating it with our current website is also a daunting task.
>
> Seems the OBS already ships a repository pushing script, so we should be
> able to tweak it accordingly to our needs.

It's wonderful that OBS seems more stable for you now.

> Fellow Packmans ?
> Having the new pmss script on the server-side, it's just a question of
> pushing packages with scp or rsync to pluto and triggering pmss there
> (either using a cron job or explicitly starting it with ssh (pubkey)).
>
> Shall we give a serious shot at it ?

I really encourage you to make the step, because I guess the results
would be very interesting. I hope more packmans agree with your request.

In my case, I would like to help but I have no experience at all at
packagement (only development, and not much yet in the opensource world).

And, from a totally foreign point of view, I would also like to suggest
you about thinking of a possible collaboration: I started a similar
thread on the PLF (Penguin Liberation Front, a project very similar to
Packman but mainly targeted to Mandriva, although they wanted to be
cross-distro too) mailing-list and they agreed that it using a
cross-distro packaging system would be interesting too. However, what
they wanted to clarify first is which system should they use (I didn't
know, but OpenSuseBuildService is not the unique project in the field,
we also have "Mandriva's iurt" and "Fedora's koji") according to their
needs.

I guess that, if they finally decide to use OBS, wouldn't be wonderful
if both projects would collaborate with each other (or even fusionate?
ala CompizFusion ;) ) so as not to duplicate efforts anymore?

I don't want to sound as a leader or a dictator at all. Just showing to
you some ideas that come to my mind as a power user of your wonderful
Packman repository.

Thanks very much for your attention.

	Andrés	[ knocte ]