[packman] packman future

Hendrik Muhs Hendrik.Muhs at web.de
Thu Jan 9 22:15:11 CET 2003

Hi,

> > > If publishing a package boils down to spit it on a
> > > directory somewhere and some automated script does anything else then,
> > > it will infect quality.
> >
> > Bummer - Actually, I don't see any relation of this form to quality.
>
> Ok not from that form but from a more guided way of publishing than just
> put the packaghe somewhere.
>
> A fully autmated system that just reads packages and put the information
> into a database, like Hendrik suggested, would be a drawback imho.

I think we can put every information into the spec-file, I agree with Waldemar
in this point.

(rpmfind works fine with this)

IMO it is a bit to late for QA, after putting the rpm on the server.

I am looking into the problem right now. There are some python-bindings for
rpm. They are not compiled and packaged by SuSE because they are a bit
outdated (at least for rpm 3.0.x). I am trying to get them working again. It
should be easy to write such an automatic tool, if the python-bindings are
working.

(For QA: their is a tool "rpmlint" by Mandrake which does some consitency
checks on rpm-files, maybe we could change it to our needs and use it(it uses
the python-bindings, too))

On the other hand, it should not be a problem to make a backdoor for manual
changes.

> I think its something in between that will be the best thing.
>
> > What I am actually missing is kind of an "upload-script" that can be
> > prepared off-line. Something like an form to be filled out which then
> > installs everything into the appropriate location on Marc's server.
> >
> > [Basic outline: Write an xml-form which shall accompany any rpm, upload
> > this form and rpm to Marc's server, and run a script there to interpret
> > this form and to install the files into the appropriate
> > locations/database etc.]
>
> Sounds like a second specfile :)

I agree, their is no need to make everything twice(like now).

Hendrik

--
Hendrik Muhs
Tel: 0049/3915693807