[packman] Kodi 21.0 Omega - Update against sound issues on Leap

Masaru Nomiya nomiya at lake.dti.ne.jp
Tue Apr 30 11:15:14 CEST 2024

Hello,

In the Message;

  Subject    : Re: [packman] Kodi 21.0 Omega - Update against sound issues on Leap
  Date & Time: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 09:21:50 +0200

[MH] == Manfred Hollstein <manfred.h at gmx.net> has written:

MH>  Good morning,

Guten Morgen, aber in Japan, guten Abend.

Anyway,

[...]
MH>>>  This will take priority over an implicitly added option for pulseaudio.

MN> > I have two questions about what is written here.

MN> > 1. If pipewire-pulseaudio is not installed, then there should be a lot
MN> >   of sound-related problems?

MH>  Without the latest fix, yes, there was no sound at all.

MN> >   As I mentioned before, there are apps that use pulseaudio rather
MN> >   than pipewire.

MH>  Which is exactly the situation as tested by the added if ... fi part.
MH>  This is the situation that a Leap installation with all updates
MH>  installed is in. It has /usr/bin/pulseaudio and /usr/bin/pipewire, but
MH>  no /usr/bin/pipewire-pulseaudio. In that configuration Kodi believes it
MH>  should use Pipewire, but that doesn't work. That's why we instruct Kodi
MH>  to use "--audio-backend=pulseaudio".

Pulseaudio and pipewrire-pulse are exclusive, so if you install
pulseaudio, you cannot install pipewire-pulse, but you should still be
able to play sound, although kodi will have no sound.

MN> > 2. Under the current situation of the sound related apps, wouldn't it
MN> >   be correct to encourage the installation of pipewire-pulseaudio?

MH>  Yes, that's what I tried to force the SUSE guys to do, but as can be
MH>  seen in the bugzilla, they neglected to do that. Hence we came up with
MH>  the work-around.

I understand your anger, but wouldn't it be faster to rebuild with
-DENABLE_PULSEAUDIO=AUTO option?

Of course, you need libpulse-devel.

Best Regards.

---
┏━━┓彡  Masaru Nomiya                       mail-to: nomiya @ lake.dti.ne.jp
┃\/彡
┗━━┛	"Microsoft is overhauling its cybersecurity strategy, called the
		Secure Future Initiative, to incorporate key security features
		into its core set of technology platforms and cloud services. "

-- Microsoft overhauls cyber strategy to finally embrace security by default --