[packman] Kodi + Amazon

Eric Schirra eric at schirra.net
Sat Oct 14 15:04:47 CEST 2023

Am 14. Oktober 2023 14:21:18 MESZ schrieb Manfred Hollstein <manfred.h at gmx.net>:

>> > I believe this is the source of your problem! "from __future__ import
>> > annotations" is only available from Python3.7 onwards, but Leap 15.5
>> > only has 3.6
>> >
>> > While there are python3.9, up to python3.11 available, almost all
>> > additional python modules do not exist for 3.9 or 3.11, though, so I'm
>> > afraid you're stuck on Leap 15.5. Tumbleweed would be the way to go I
>> > think!
>>
>> I already suspected that.
>> But then you must not update the package for Leap if it does not run. I notice
>> this more often. In Packman but also in suse obs. There are simply built
>> package, which are built without error, but due to missing dependencies later
>> do not run.
>>
>> Especially in python this happens more often because of the long dead python
>> in Leap.
>> Tumblewedd I do not like, because too unstable for me. I know it is super
>> stable etc. In the mailing list you just read other things. Especiallys, if
>> you also want to run a server with it. But is another topic.
>
>Strange, I run TW on all my systems for quite some time now. Agreed,
>there are some hickups sometime, but usually it actually works really
>well.

The demands on a stable system are probably different. A not please of the server system is a no go

>> Do you know %{?sle15_python_module_pythons}?
>> With this you can build python311 packages for Leap.
>
>Then just do it! SUSE is apparently not willing to support newer python
>versions for their ancient SLE versions. I too don't like it, but that's
>it. If you need newer versions, TW is there for you.
>
>> I myself have in my Homerepo now about 800 package in 311 for Leap. Why this
>> is not done centrally is not clear to me. Everyone must do this for
>> themselves. In my opinion a complete nonsense. But well, maybe I do not
>> understand the reason.
>
>*I* absolutely don't need 311 for Leap, but it's you who needs it.
>Perhaps you can argue with some of the SUSE product managers and
>convince them, why it would be benefitial. If you already have them, why
>don't you create the SRs to submit the packages to the related
>openSUSE:Leap:15.5:Backports project?
>
>> But couldn't it be done that way in Packman?
>
>Nope, this is not Packman's job!

Why so aggressive?
I was just asking a question.
I also did not say that I absolutely want 3.11-python.
Whereas this ancient and since forever dead Python 3.6 is for me a security risk and causes unnecessary work. But for me.
Packages that are important to me I bring to 3.11. For me, because the unnecessary strife is too stupid for me.
But again I don't demand 3.11.
I only expect a working package under Leap. And if this is no longer possible, because a newer Python is needed, which you have recognized yourself, then one must not offer the current kodi. And you also have to use and query in spec the required version for building.
I also don't need the latest KODi. Just a working one.
And that I am one of the very few who wants to access Amazon Prime under KODi, I may doubt times quite strongly.

>> Then you could also offer a working kodi with 311.
>> So kodi is more or less broken under Leap.
>
>Apparently for you, nobody else complained that Kodi doesn't work on
>Leap.

Maybe because it makes less and less sense in/for opensuse.....

Gruß
Eric