[packman] Notice - delete req filed for gststreamer-libav

Bjørn Lie bjorn.lie at gmail.com
Fri May 12 22:01:41 CEST 2023

Hi list

I've just filed delete req for A_tw-gstreamer-plugins-libav and
A_15.5-gstreamer-plugins-libav (it seems like the version for 15.4 have
been nuked already).

This will mainly impact Tumbleweed users as I expect the number of
users on 15.5 will be rather low atm, since it's not "released" yet.

The current status is that a user can install said package from either
openSUSE or packman and both will give "equal" support in terms of
providing decode or encode, as long as user have packmans ffmpeg
(libavcodec etc) installed. For Tumbleweed that currently means
ffmpeg-6 -> libavcodec60|libavformat60 etc.

What will be lost is the "provides" in terms of zypper search provides
'gstreamer1(decoder-video/x-h264) or gstreamer1(encoder-video/x-265/*'
etc. But that should not matter much since nothing at all depends on
gst-libav (there is no devel package, nor is it needed).

This email is meant as a heads-up for the questions that might arise
when people see their "gst-libav" change from packman to opensuse if my
delete reqs are acked.

If a reboot is not sufficient for people, they should delete their
gststreamer "cache" with the following command:

rm ~/.cache/gstreamer-1.0/registry.*.bin should take care of that (this
should not be needed for 99% of users).

Regards
/B