[packman] Introduction

Maurizio Galli maurizio.galli at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 16:24:26 CET 2020

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 1:39 PM Dave Plater <davejplater at gmail.com> wrote:

> You can normally build against openSUSE's ffmpeg libs and the package
> will use the unencumbered ffmpeg libs. Mpeg2 is no longer under
> patent.

The package in the official repo, it doesn't build against anything
but just turns the tar.gz into an rpm and needs to use a pre-bundled
ffmpeg library. In that case it was chosen the non patent encumbered
version from electron:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/games:tools/discord

However and ideally, Discord needs the patent encumbered ffmpeg in
order to play  h264 and h265  video formats, reason why I'm hoping I
could repackage it and bundle the full ffmpeg  in Packman.

Best,
Maurizio Galli (MauG)