[packman] Please upgrade Flash

Tony Mechelynck antoine.mechelynck at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 08:04:49 CET 2020

I'm using packages flash-player, flash-player-gnome,
flash-player-ppapi, all of them version 32.0.0.303-lp151.1.1, on
openSUSE Leap 15.1.

In SeaMonkey 2.53, in the add-ons manager (about:addons), "Shockwave
Flash" 32.0.0.303 has a red warning: "Shockwave Flash is known to be
vulnerable and should be updated". This out-of-date property also
means that I cannot set it to "Always enable": my only choices are
"Ask to enable" or "Never enable".

However, many sites check for the presence of Flash: these sites get a
"No" answer and tell me "You need to install Flash" with a link to a
site of Adobe, where a different Flash plugin, not compatible with
Packman's, is available.

Some time ago, when the same error message appeared for an earlier
version of Flash, I asked on IRC (at #packman on freenode) and someone
answered: "I have started an update [to 3.0.0.303] but you can expect
it to fail when it gets outdated because no developer concerns himself
with Flash these days." He also sent me to this mailing list as the
"proper" place to send bug reports and update requests to Packman.

So please upgrade the Flash packages so that red message will
disappear and I'll again be able to set "enable always" on the Flash
entry in about:addons.

Best regards,
Tony.