[packman] Question about VLC

Wolfgang Bauer e9325712 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jun 12 19:19:58 CEST 2019

Am Dienstag, 11. Juni 2019, 16:17:19 schrieb Hot Music Fan:
> I am openSUSE Leap 15 user and I am using VLC which is currently at version
> 3.0.2-lp150.7.3 from Packman repository. My question is whether this is the
> actual 3.0.2 or it receives continuous patches and it is updated to the
> 3.0.7's code?

Packman's vlc package is just a link to the version from the standard repos
(with additional codecs enabled).

So it will only get updated to 3.0.7's code if Leap 15.0's version is, and it
contains exactly the same patches as Leap 15.0's version.

That means that if you have a problem that's fixed in later versions you
should report it to openSUSE's bugzilla to get a backport (or maybe a newer
version).

But I doubt that it will be updated to a later version just for the sake of
it...

Leap 15.1 ships with vlc 3.0.6 though at least (with some patches on top). ;-)
So you could upgrade to get a later vlc version, 15.0 will be out of support
in 5 months anyway.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang