[packman] libx264-152 very slow

Manfred Hollstein manfred.h at gmx.net
Fri Mar 23 10:35:13 CET 2018

Moin,

On Fri, 23 Mar 2018, 09:09:07 +0100, Luigi Baldoni wrote:
> Sent: Friday, March 23, 2018 at 8:08 AM
> From: Grozdan <neutrino8 at gmail.com>
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 9:58 PM, Jörg Lorenzen <j.lorenzen at kabelmail.de> wrote:
> > > Same for me, the average of encoded frames has decreased from 25 fps down to 7 fps (source: h264 interlaced, target: h264 deinterlaced).
> > > I think we should go back to the previous revision.
> >
> > it sounds to me that x264 is not compiled with nasm, or at least not
> > the correct version. Latest version requires a very recent nasm
> > version (2.13.x) for its ASM. They dropped also yasm some time ago
>
> Unless Jörg is using SLE12, the requirement is satisfied.

on openSUSE_Leap_42.3 using asm is explicitly disabled indeed; this is
what the .changes contains:

  Tue Mar  6 14:26:46 UTC 2018 - zaitor at opensuse.org

  - Conditionally BuildRequire nasm for current versions of
    openSUSE and pass conditional --disable-asm to openSUSE Leap 43.3
    and SLE-12.

and here .spec:

  %build
  %configure \
    --disable-lsmash \
    --disable-opencl \
  %if 0%{?suse_version} < 1500
    --disable-asm \
  %endif

So, this means that no assembler gets used on anything older than Leap
15.0 or Factory, which explains why it is so slow on Leap 42.3.

The good news is, devel:tools:compiler:nasm in version 2.13.03 builds
without any trouble on Leap 42.3 and can then be used to build libx264
with the "--disable-asm" removed again. I just branched "nasm" and
"yasm" from devel:tools:compiler in my OBS home project and successfully
built my own version of libx264 copied from the version in Packman.

Do we want to provide a more recent version of "nasm" for openSUSE Leap
42.3 in Packman so that we get back to a usable speed?

What do you think?

Cheers.

l8er
manfred