[packman] upgrade from 42.1 to 42.3 broke VLC and SMplayer

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Fri Sep 15 08:07:07 CEST 2017

On Donnerstag, 14. September 2017 23:04:13 Felix Miata wrote:
> Felix Miata composed on 2017-09-14 21:56 (UTC-0400):
> > Upgrade I did only about a day before I had to prepare to be hit by
> > Hurricane Irma, so I don't have much recollection of details of the
> > process. Now I'd like to relax and watch some video, but it isn't
> > working:

This is a known pattern to me - the probability of failures raises with
urgency of such processes. :-(

Did you went from 42.1 to 42.3 directly?
Have you taken the zypper dup upgrade path, or the conventional way by yast?

> > VLC: files (saved HD MPEG-4 4:2:2 DVB streams) that played normally in
> > 42.1 now are playing in monochrome except for random blotches of pastel
> > overlays. Ancient mpeg files and .isos ripped from DVDs play normally.

The ffmpeg family origin would be interesting.. libav*

> > SMPlayer: trying to play same files that VLC formerly played OK makes
> > SMPlayer complains MPV failed to start. IFAIR, I didn't ask for MPV to be
> > installed, but my memory isn't that great. If I wanted MPV to open,
> > that's what I would open, but as it has no UI for a file picker[1], it
> > seems to be worthless to me.
> My $HOME is seriously old, at least 8 years. SMPlayer I fixed by simply
> deleting the content of ~/.config/smplayer. :-) No such luck with
> ~/.config/vlc. :-(

You might want to try

	zypper -v dup --from Packman

If unsure about the outcome, post the output here before proceeding.

Good luck,
Pete