[packman] SMPlayer OK, green screen on VLC

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 5 09:38:10 CEST 2017

Hans-Peter and Rob got me going some days ago with .ts files made from one of
the two FTA DVB sources I most often record, by changing in VLC preferences
video output from automatic to OpenGL GLX video output:
http://lists.links2linux.de/pipermail/packman/2017-September/015398.html

>From my other primary source, SMPlayer produces expected video, but VLC (either
OSS version or Packman version 2.2.6-8.1.x86_64) usually outputs only green,
sometimes green with a bunch of blotching as if source was inadequate. If I
change back from OpenGL GLX video output to automatic, then output is a constant
flashing back & forth between green screen & expected output.

http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/AV/vlc1005.txt
is from running several seconds with OpenGL GLX video output set. I see no
occurrences of "fail" or "error". Is there anything in it explains what needs to
be changed, if there is some bug that needs fixing, or otherwise suggests a
solution? Googling green screen VLC with Linux seems to be a lost cause. :-(

>From the same problem source, I made a 33 second test recording (55MB) for this
thread. SM plays it normally. VLC won't play it at all:
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/AV/CWD-5test1.ts

OS is 42.3 on Haswell:
# inxi -G -c0
Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated
Graphics Controller
  Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
  Resolution: 1920x1200 at 59.95hz
  GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Desktop GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.5

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/