[packman] Trouble with Vivaldi and h.264 Videos

"Ulf Bartholomäus" ub1x at gmx.net
Sun Mar 12 21:03:07 CET 2017

Hi Packman Team,

I use openSUSE Tumbleweed with Packman Repositories. After installation, Vivaldi looks and works fine on many pages (with disabled flash). But on some there comes a warning (in German "Ihr Browser unterstützt keinen h.264 Codec" - free translated "the browser don't support the h.264 Codec"). But if I check the installation:

# zypper se -is vivaldi
S | Name | Type | Version | Arch | Repository
--+---------+---------+----------------+--------+-----------
i | vivaldi | package | 1.7.735.46-1.2 | x86_64 | packman

and

# locate libffmpeg
/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib64/libffmpegthumbnailer.so.4.13.1.debug
/usr/lib64/libffmpegthumbnailer.so.4
/usr/lib64/libffmpegthumbnailer.so.4.13.1
/usr/lib64/vivaldi/lib/libffmpeg.so
/usr/share/iron/libffmpegsumo.so

I can see that the libffmpeg.so is installed in the
/usr/lib64/vivaldi/
folder:
/usr/lib64/vivaldi/lib/libffmpeg.so

But I don't know, why it don't work :-(

I posted this in the Vivaldi Forum:
https://forum.vivaldi.net/post/122739

and received following answer:

@UbIx
That libffmpeg.so which came with Vivaldi didn't build with proprietary parts.
You would need libffmpeg.so built with it & also built with same or near Chromium version Vivaldi based from.

It's not common there's major change between version that cause hiccup in libffmpeg.so, but it does happen. For example current Vivaldi Snapshot is based from Chromium 57. But I use libffmpeg.so from Ubuntu built from Chromium 56.

Related post to libffmpeg.so & openSuse; https://forum.vivaldi.net/post/85798

May you please verify this, and give me a short feed back?

Regards
Ulf