[packman] Package broadcom-wl gone?

Manfred Hollstein manfred.h at gmx.net
Wed Feb 22 13:44:00 CET 2017

Moin,

On Wed, 22 Feb 2017, 11:57:29 +0100, Manfred Hollstein wrote:
> Hi Tomáš,
>
> On Wed, 22 Feb 2017, 10:34:25 +0100, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> > > has the package been deleted? I cannot find it in its former repository
> > > Essentials.
> > >
> > Hello Manfred,
> >
> > Yes the broadcom-wl is gone from the repository.
> >
> > I had a review meeting with our kernel guys and we discovered it was not
> > updated in couple of years while its device scanning ment it was loaded and
> > attempted to be loaded on almost all broadcom cards errornously.
> >
> > What the labs people said is that the driver that is at the moment in
> > kernel should work more reliably and they are more than willing to receive
> > bugs if something is still not behaving well with the broadcom chipsets
> > that were before covered by this package.
>
> thanks for your feedback. Does that mean that I should use one of the
> kernel provided drivers (e.g. bcma) from openSUSE_Leap_42.1/2, or would
> it be necessary to run a more recent kernel like Kernel:stable?

too bad! I just tried to get wlan0 (Broadcom 4352 WLAN core revision 42)
to work, but it fails on both kernels I have here on my openSUSE_Leap_42.1
system:

  kernel-default-4.1.38-47.1
  kernel-default-4.9.11-1.1

dmesg says this:

[    4.814315] b43-phy0: Broadcom 4352 WLAN found (core revision 42)
[    4.814698] b43-phy0 ERROR: FOUND UNSUPPORTED PHY (Analog 12, Type 11 (AC), Revision 1)
[    4.815499] b43: probe of bcma0:1 failed with error -95
[    4.815524] Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PNLS ]

Neither NetworkManager nor wicked can see any related device; this means
networking is no longer possible for a wide range of devices (from Dell
and ASrock and possibly many others). Do we have a backup of the former
driver which worked properly, at least for me.

Thx, cheers.

l8er
manfred