[packman] dependencies of packman subpackages from same build

Daniel Pecka dpecka at opensuse.org
Tue Feb 7 15:04:19 CET 2017

Hello,

I've been solving in #suse in past weeks with several ppl same problem:
They had installed some package(s) from packman but its deps (usually
subpackages from same build) were from repo-oss .. Good example is ffmpeg,
which shall looks after the successful installation:

# rpm -qa --queryformat "%-48{sourcerpm}\t%-44{name}\t%{vendor}\n" | perl
-ne 'next if ! m/^ffmpeg-3/; print'
ffmpeg-3.2-6.5.src.rpm
libavfilter6
http://packman.links2linux.de
ffmpeg-3.2-6.5.src.rpm
libavutil55
http://packman.links2linux.de
ffmpeg-3.2-6.5.src.rpm
libavdevice57
http://packman.links2linux.de
ffmpeg-3.2-6.5.src.rpm
libswresample2
http://packman.links2linux.de
ffmpeg-3.2-6.5.src.rpm
libavresample3
http://packman.links2linux.de
ffmpeg-3.2-6.5.src.rpm
libpostproc54
http://packman.links2linux.de
ffmpeg-3.2-6.5.src.rpm
ffmpeg
http://packman.links2linux.de
ffmpeg-3.2-6.5.src.rpm
libavformat57
http://packman.links2linux.de
ffmpeg-3.2-6.5.src.rpm
libavcodec57
http://packman.links2linux.de
ffmpeg-3.2-6.5.src.rpm
libswscale4
http://packman.links2linux.de

eg all subpackages from ffmpeg family should be from same build in order
they work properly and they don't generate artifacts ... He had ofc a dirty
mix of ffmpeg and related libs to be from repo-oss and packman and it
didn't work properly ...

We were discussing this with olaf few weeks ago and I've suggested to
ensure that proper libs from proper vendor are satisfied if you explicitely
set your deps to be `= %version-%release' (eg they will require lib
packages that have same version-release string) ..

Current workaround in suse is, that ppl rely on the fact, that packman his
higher versions than suse repos and that dup --from packman is commonly
used, but my apologize, generic dup --from packman just because to fix a
libs for foo (ffmpeg or few other codecs) is something abhorrent ...

SUSEhelp on freenode knows this factoid:
<SUSEhelp> ``zypper dup --from packman'' is wrong. It will forcefully
update _all_ packages that you have already in your system with theirs
packman instances (if they exist), just imagine ...

and I'm fully agreeing with him ... If you don't have enough skills to fix
things manually you're somewhat forced to do this molestatory step ..
Please let's think about some deps related policy for packman.

regards, daniel

S Pozdravem / Best Regards

Daniel Pecka - dpecka at opensuse.org
SCSA, SCNA, RHCE, CLP