[packman] broadcom-* package (wl module) makes systemd-udev crazy breaking the ifnames

Manfred Hollstein manfred.h at gmx.net
Mon Feb 6 09:22:02 CET 2017

Moin,

On Mon, 06 Feb 2017, 08:46:56 +0100, Olaf Hering wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 03, Daniel Pecka wrote:
>
> > systemd ppl say it's problem of our suse systemd-udev, that we don't follow
> > upstream defaults in order to keep inane backword compatibility and kernel
> > guys says, it's clearly the problem of wl module forcefully binding to eth0
> > (shall be - and always was wlan0)
>
> You are the first one who reports this. Looks like an upstream bug.

I saw that, too, and worked around it by creating a file in
/etc/systemd/network:

  $ cat /etc/systemd/network/10-wlan0.link
  [Match]
  MACAddress=AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FE

  [Link]
  Name=wlan0

> src/wl/sys/wl_linux.c:218:#define BRCM_WLAN_IFNAME eth%d

Never looked at the sources myself, but this appears an obvious error,
thx!

> I wonder what will break if this gets changed to wlan%d.

I'm not sure many have seen the wrong behaviour so far, but we'll see.

> Olaf

Thanks for analyzing and fixing this, Olaf!

Cheers.

l8er
manfred