[packman] PMBS update step one finished

Stefan Seyfried stefan.seyfried at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 11 15:45:52 CEST 2017

Hi Stefan,

On 10.04.2017 09:21, Stefan Botter wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 21:19:14 +0200
> Stefan Seyfried <stefan.seyfried at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Is 2.8 even released already?
>> Are there pressing reasons (new features?) that would make unstable,
>> untested 2.8 seem more attractive than known working 2.7.x?
>
> Depends, on whom you ask, the OBS guys will tell you, that they are
> working with 2.8 for ages ;-)

Yes, and they are closing all bug reports as "works for me" if you do not have 200% proof that it is broken, and because
the openSUSE setup is very limited feature-wise, they are not able to reproduce anything that will happen to your. Been
there, done that. So I know what to think about statements made by adrian, mls & co :-)

> Has been released just Friday.
> But yes, there is a pressing reason: have a look at
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/OBS:/Server:/
> and see, for which distributions there is a 2.7, and a 2.8.
> And then remember, that 42.1 is end-of-life mid-May.

running 2.7 on 42.2 should be a no-brainer, everything OBS needs is delivered by OBS repos anyway and the OS is "mostly
harmless".
I had been running 2.7 at home on 42.1 long before this was "supported", means: when SLES11 or 13.1 was the only
"supported" platform and never seen a problem that could be attributed to an OS issue.

But if 2.8 is actually released, then everything is fine, and you are running an even more supported system then.

Best regards and good luck :-)

	Stefan
--
Stefan Seyfried