[packman] Build fails with bad tempdir

Stefan Botter jsj at jsj.dyndns.org
Wed Oct 12 15:43:55 CEST 2016

Hi Olaf,

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 11:05:26 +0200
Olaf Hering <olaf at aepfle.de> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 28, Olaf Hering wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 25, Olaf Hering wrote:
> >
> > > Since earlier this week many builds fail with "bad tempdir", it
> > > is not specific to a certain host or target.
> >
> > This affects all packages with a '_service' file.
>
> What is the status with this buildhost bug?
> I see various packages have now their _service files removed, which I
> think is the very wrong way to approach the issue.

I am sorry for not replying earlier, I had extremely busy weeks and
still not much time to do anything else.

The "bad tempdir" error is emitted by the runservices script from
build:
Lines 33 ff.
====
  my $tempdir;
  if ($buildroot ne '') {
    $tempdir = File::Temp::tempdir('CLEANUP' => 1, 'DIR' => "$buildroot/tmp");
    die("bad tempdir\n") unless $tempdir =~ s/^\Q$buildroot\E//;
  } else {
    $tempdir = File::Temp::tempdir('CLEANUP' => 1);
  }
====

This is run only if there are source services present in the package,
but I do not understand why this fails on certain buildhosts.

Affected hosts are swkj1[5-9], which are still openSUSE 13.1, mainly
with the obs-worker from OBS 2.5, and more importantly are running
builds in chroot.   swkj0[1-9] are also building in chroot, are
openSUSE 12.3, only swkj1[1-4] and swkjt01 (real hardware machines) are
building in kvm.

I do not know, how the tempdir viable is at the very moment the above
script stops, but I do not think, that the workers itself have a
problem, more that this is a problem of the code with source services
on chroot workers.

I also do not know if updating the build hosts or the server will help,
PMSB is still running OBS 2.6.
What I so know is, that I do not have the time to update the machines
in the next few weeks.
I can however shut down swkj15-19, then the effect should not be that
dramatic.

Greetings,

Stefan
--