[packman] mpv _disabled_ (amongst other packages) in pmbs for openSUSE_Leap_42.2

Manfred Hollstein manfred.h at gmx.net
Wed Nov 16 18:35:11 CET 2016

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016, 18:24:04 +0100, Olaf Hering wrote:
> Am 16.11.2016 um 17:18 schrieb Manfred Hollstein:
> > If you believe, m:a is not needed, what's the suggested proposal then?
>
> multimedia:apps is a devel project for at least a few apps in Factory.
> Its certainly ok to have its Leap repo enabled. But the downside is that
> multimedia:apps builds against multimedia:libs, which in turn is also
> a devel project. Soon it will happen that ffmpeg gets new SONAMEs and
> mpv will stop working because it links against OBS.
>
> There will be always some conflict between "having the latest" and
> "having a consistent system". The idea was to provide updates via the
> 42.2:Update project. In the case of mpv itself it might be ok to build
> it unconditionally in PMBS for all repos. A few packages have
> Requires: mpv (Essentials/baka-mplayer, Essentials/smplayer,
> Multimedia/selene, Multimedia/xt7-player-mpv).
>
> So what should be done with mpv? Provide always the variant from
> multimedia:apps via PMBS (linked against the given ffmpeg from PMBS),
> or should mpv be updated as needed via the Update channel?

I'm not sure what others think, but I believe "mpv" is a must to have on
a current desktop system, so I'd be OK with it provided via the normal OBS
update channel - but it ought to pick up all those libav* packages
provided by Packman to ensure it actually works with today's multimedia
files (such as the .ts file I had problems with when streaming it from
the Dreambox). I'm definitely not deep enough into the features which
are/are not available when packages come from m:a vs. m:l vs. OBS vs.
Packman.  In my experience, the mixture of packages such as "mpv" and
"handbrake" resulted in an unresolvable situation when I last tried it
on Tumbleweed. I'm afraid, with current 42.2 we are in a similar shape.

> Olaf

Cheers.

l8er
manfred