[packman] Audacity does start on suse tumbleweed

Dave Plater davejplater at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 19:43:09 CEST 2016

On 6/27/16, Marguerite Su <i at marguerite.su> wrote:
>>> @spectre-nm:~> audacity
>>> Fatal Error: Mismatch between the program and library build versions
>>> detected.
>>> The library used 2.8 (no debug,Unicode,compiler with C++ ABI 1009,STL
>>> containers,compatible with 2.6),
>>> and your program used 2.8 (no debug,Unicode,compiler with C++ ABI
>>> 1010,STL containers,compatible with 2.6).
>>> Annullato (core dump creato)
>
> Hi,
>
> If some dependencies of audacity was built w/ gcc 5, while audacity is
> built
> w/ gcc 6, this ABI breakage will happen.
>
> It happens often and only in Factory(Tumbleweed), because in order to avoid
> endless rebuild, our factory maintainers may have some special repository
> configurations that prevents dependencies from rebuilding.
>
> This can be resolved by a rebuild of the things audacity needed.
>
> You should report it to openSUSE bugzilla against audacity and ask its
> maintainer to find out which one.
>
> Marguerite

AFAIK audacity links to multimedia:apps, I'm in the process of a long
overdue update that's been held up because version 2.1.2 builds
against wxWidgets-3_0 but won't build on openSUSE because of STL. All
the other distributions build wxWidgets without STL so the audacity
maintainers aren't interested in fixing the problem. I'm finishing of
a wxWidgets for audacity and then I'll update. I suspect that this
will solve the problem. wxWidgets 2 are a PITN.
Dave