[packman] Stable Packman for Leap

Olaf Hering olaf at aepfle.de
Tue Jun 21 08:58:49 CEST 2016

On Mon, Jun 20, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:

> We need to do this properly.

How would your proposal look like in practice? There are packages which
act as "overlay" and there are additional packages. vlc, ffmpeg and
gstreamer-(bad|ugly) are overlay, things like kodi are addon. Many of
the packages are enabled for a subset of the available repositories.

Where are the package sources supposed to live? This affects how the
binaries are delivered to the mirrors. Right now there are 4 projects
(Essentials|Extra|Games|Multimedia)/<disst> delivered as individual
install repos, and there is the toplevel catch-all repo which covers all
of the above.

If the existing layout is supposed to be supported then one way to
handle it are _aggregates for each package, which fetches the binaries
from another repo. If the existing layout should disappear we are free
to redefine the layout as needed.

And now that I look at the  mirror layout I notice the directory names
are flipped, compared to OBS and IBS: in packman its <dist>/<repo> while
in OBS its <repo>/<dist>. So maybe there is a chance to adjust the
publisher to fetch binaries for /suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials
from Essentials-TW/openSUSE_Tumbleweed instead of
Essentials/openSUSE_Tumbleweed. As a result each dist would get its own
project. If we go that route each pkg would start from scratch, and its
CI_CNT and B_CNT will be reset and as a result it will look like a
downgrade for most packages. Is there a way preserve CI_CNT/B_CNT?

Olaf