[packman] Packman for Tumbleweed

Dave Plater davejplater at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 12:52:03 CEST 2016

On 6/20/16, Olaf Hering <olaf at aepfle.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, Richard Brown wrote:
>
>> Packman's current model for Tumbleweed, building against
>> multimedia:libs and not Tumbleweed, means that Packman users get
>> packages of the NEXT version of ffmpeg, gstreamer, etc, BEFORE it is
>> ready for Tumbleweed
We maintain packman in multimedia especially multimedia:libs, it takes
too long for a package to filter through into Factory and even longer
into Tumbleweed for us to do our job properly. I restored
multimedia:libs/ffmpeg to 2.8 at the ire of the maintainers that first
submitted it because of the builds that it might have broken in
Packman. This is why there is an ffmpeg-2.8 package in Packman, to
wait until upstream catches up, which they will do.
>From an installation point of view ffmpeg library abi versions exist
happily with each other on any system.
Olaf has worked hard on ensuring that there are no system breakages
due to the ffmpeg abi change. When all of the packages in OBS build
against ffmpeg3 .
Users don't use openSUSE's ffmpeg, it's crippled. It's main purpose in
OBS is for packages to build against it and for a few packages that
don't rely on it's libavcodec.
There is nothing wrong with Tumbleweed having ffmpeg-2.8, users of
ffmpeg have all updated to 3 from Packman anyway.
See below for gstreamer.

> Regarding gstreamer, I wonder what kind of testing is done. Can it do
> anything useful in the variant from OBS? Looking at the spec files, only
> -bad and -ugly rely on packman.
>
>> This causes disruption, pain, heartache, and I've now lost track of
>> the amount of times it's broken GNOME applications that used
>> gstreamer.
>
> That would have been valueable information actually, especially for this
> thread.
>
> Olaf

So we can safely delete the other gstreamer packages or are there
packages that will get broken as a result?
Dave