[packman] rebuilding gstreamer every day?

Bjørn Lie zaitor at opensuse.org
Thu Jun 16 15:33:49 CEST 2016

to., 16.06.2016 kl. 15.22 +0200, skrev Mathias Homann:
> Am Donnerstag 16 Juni 2016, 15:00:03 schrieb Olaf Hering:
> > On Thu, Jun 16, Mathias Homann wrote:
> > > I'm getting the full load of gstreamer packages (and dependecies)
> > > as
> > > updates almost every day, is it REALLY necessary to rebuild
> > > gstreamer
> > > that often?
> > Likely yes.
> > What exactly changes? Usually each package is named like
> > name-version-release, and the release part is divided by dots into
> > checkin-counter and rebuild-counter. The latter is the last number
> > and
> > should remain at "1". If its constantly increasing something should
> > be
> > done about it.
> >
> > Olaf
>
> According to the changelog in the gstreamer package from Essentials,
> *NOTHING*
> has changed in over a month.
>
> On pmbs it turns out that the package is just a link to
> multimedia:libs/gstreamer from OBS... and the guy maintaining it is
> actually
> rebuiling/updating almost every day 0.o
>

> Cheers
> MH

multimedia:libs is a DEVEL repo, hence we do development there.
If a package that gstreamer depends on gets updated or rebuilt, it will
also get rebuilt, and sometimes it's needed to test changes in the full
repo, hence full rebuild.

Packman would be better of with link to the factory sources instead of
straight from the devel one in m:l.

An other option would be to switch packman essentials repo over
to rebuild="direct" instead of rebuild="transitive" as it is today.

//Bjørn