[packman] VLC's default custom skin is broken (again)

Wolfgang Bauer e9325712 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jan 5 12:47:00 CET 2016

Am Montag, 4. Januar 2016, 08:45:23 schrieben Sie:
> On Wed, Dec 23, Wolfgang Bauer wrote:
> > Can you please re-activate
> > vlc-2.1.5-fix-skins2-default-skin-creation.patch in Packman's vlc
> > package?
>
> What does this patch do?

It makes tar being called with the "--format=ustar" parameter when creating
the skin archive, to create old-style tar archives without PAX headers.

> I think all it does is to make sure that
> build-compare will not republish the pkg. But at the same time the patch
> was added build-compare was fixed as well to handle tar archives
> properly.

Did you look at the patch's description?
---
New tar defaults create PAX archives which have two problems:
* VLC cannot read them
* they contain atime and thus the build time
Avoid this by passign "--format=ustar" to tar when creating skins2/default.vlt
---

The main problem here (and why the patch should be applied) is that VLC cannot
read skin archives with a PAX header.

> > Without it the included default skin cannot be opened, and vlc even fails
> > to start when enabling "Use custom skin" without installing/configuring a
> > different skin...
>
> This must be a differed issue introduced by the fork into PMBS.

No. It is caused by not applying that patch.
Unpacking /usr/share/vlc/skins2/default.vlt and repacking it with that option
fixes the problem.

Also, I noticed the same problem in September already (because the patch got
"overwritten" by autoreconf):
* Wed Sep 02 2015 wbauer at tmo.at
- Modify vlc-2.1.5-fix-skins2-default-skin-creation.patch to patch
  Makefile.am instead of Makefile.in: autoreconf overwrote the
  change, making the patch totally ineffective and thus the default
  skin was broken

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang