[packman] chromium and chromium-ffmpeg

Manfred Hollstein manfred.h at gmx.net
Mon Dec 19 13:58:21 CET 2016

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016, 10:00:54 +0100, Manfred Hollstein wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2016, 14:27:15 +0100, Olaf Hering wrote:
> > [...]
> > It does not need to be, because it just links to the sources in the
> > Update repo. If there is a new chromium the ffmpeg subpackage will be
> > rebuild automatically.
>
> This did not happen for the latest update of chromium on Leap 42.1 and
> 42.2. Interestingly the package for 13.2 got rebuilt! I just looked at
> the PMBS monitor and it shows a lot of idle workers, so a build of
> chromium-ffmpeg for Leap 42.1 and 42.2 could potentially run without
> any problems. Can someone please trigger the build manually?

Looking at the ChangeLog of package chromium-55.0.2883.75-99.2.x86_64
shows:

  - Obsolete ffmpeg and ffmpegsumo package in addition to conflict
  - Switch to system libraries: harfbuzz, zlib, ffmpeg, ...
  - Use system ffmpeg unless on 13.2 that didn't include it

So, it appears we don't need a chromium-ffmpeg{,sumo} package anymore on
any Leap system, and any installed ffmpeg libraries/programs are used
automatically when installed. This, however, does not work on 13.2 which
is why chromium-ffmpeg is stil available on/for 13.2.

HTH, case closed ;)

Cheers.

l8er
manfred