[packman] OpenSuse 42.1 missing k3b codecs

Wolfgang Bauer e9325712 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Dec 1 15:47:54 CET 2016

Am Donnerstag, 1. Dezember 2016, 14:03:51 schrieben Sie:
> On Wed, Nov 30, Wolfgang Bauer wrote:
> > But I agree, it would probably be a good idea to add it back in OBS. And I
> > just saw that you did it already anyway, I think we should add an
> > "Obsoletes: k3b-codecs too though if we don't want to split out the
> > codecs into a separate package... ;-) )
>
> Shouldnt that be Provides/Obsoletes: k3b-codecs =/< version-release?
> I have not checked the lifetime of that subpackage.

Well, k3b-codecs has never been provided by openSUSE, only Packman.
And Packman (mostly) always provided a newer version of k3b, so I decided to
go with an unconditional Obsoletes...

On second thoughts though, it may be a good idea to still provide those codecs
(libmad and lame) in the additional k3b-codecs package. (ffmpeg is and will
stay in the main package now of course)
So that people only need to install k3b-codecs from Packman, and not switch
the k3b package itself?

Opinions are welcome.

> > But we still only package the KDE4 based 2.0.3 currently.
> > Should not matter as soon as the KF5 version is actually released, and
> > 13.2
> > (where it would be better to use the KDE4 version) will be out of support
> > soon anyway.
>
> Once 442944 is accepted I will trigger an update for Leap and add a
> _link to it in a new A-42.x-k3b pkg.

Thanks.

> I think in the end development of k3b should take place in OBS, the
> package must be rebuilt either way in packman to get mad/lame support.

I agree. Like for other packages.
That's the better way IMHO.

The current state has been to come from a disagreement between the openSUSE
maintainers and the Packman maintainer I think (though I was not personally
involved).

Btw, wasn't there a similar case with vlc a few months ago? ;-)

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang