[packman] Blender that supports x264, etc

Stefan Botter jsj at jsj.dyndns.org
Wed Nov 4 10:01:31 CET 2015

Hi Jimmy,

sorry, I hit "send" prematurely...

On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 00:42:47 -0600
Jimmy Berry <jimmy at boombatower.com> wrote:

> I branched obs package, merged in previous packman build changes to
> enable ffmpeg, and cleaned up a bit. I was able to successfully build
> for Tumbleweed x86_64. When I installed locally the package worked
> great and I was able to use features that depend on ffmpeg which I am
> unable to do in the obs version.
>
> See for successful build:
> https://pmbs.links2linux.de/package/binaries/home:boombatower:branches:Extra/blender-update?repository=openSUSE_Tumbleweed
>
> Unfortunately, the majority of the time the packman obs instance seems
> to just loop trying to build the package since it ends up terminating
> the build process at some random percentage through the build. It
> seems like it is running out of ram.

Seems possible, as most workers are running chroot builds, where there
are no guaranteed resources, and hence builds with contraints are not
scheduled to build. ATM only swkj11-swkj14 are workers building in KVM,
and all but 11 had a configuration problem throughout October - so
nothing was built there. They are fixed now.

> The previous build on packman had
> the following memory _constraint:
>
>     <physicalmemory>
>       <size unit="M">1700</size>
>     </physicalmemory>
>
> I upped to 2000, but then it seems to never be scheduled. I am
> assuming none of the packman workers have that much ram?

swkj11 has 1897MB RAM available for build, swkj12-14 have 1950MB. A
_constraint file requesting more than these values will block the
package from being scheduled to build.

> If so does anyone have suggestions for different build flags to
> possibly reduce ram usage during compile or acquire a more powerful
> worker or two?

As mentioned some days ago, I was able to secure some more hardware,
and am currently - as time permits - in the phase to repair and enable
it for use - just Yesterday evening I was able to restart the workers
15-19 (virtual machines doing chroot builds), which before were running
on old desktops, which I have to return to their proposed use soon.
There is a test machine swkjt01 currently providing 4 processes in KVM,
but providing 1GB RAM, only.

I have some more machines, and provided I can fix them, I will at least
one of them configure to run with more than 2 GB instance memory.

As said, as time permits, perhaps over the weekend.

Greetings,

Stefan
--
Stefan Botter zu Hause