[packman] [PM] vlc 2.2.0-261.1 (openSUSE 13.2/x86_64) [Bug: No video on VLC 2.2]

Wolfgang Bauer e9325712 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Mar 24 12:48:52 CET 2015

Am Montag, 23. März 2015, 19:18:34 schrieb Hartmut:
> Could it be a library-problem with Packman? Xine on a non Nvidia-system
> (Ati with radeon driver) stopped playing mp4 too. Error: could not
> initiate vdpau. Xine plays mp4 on my with Nvidia-card-system. If needed
> I can send a complete error-message ..

Well, Xine runs fine here as well, both on a radeon and an intel system. But
then my graphics cards do not even support decoding MP4 hardware-wise...

First, is your libxine2 coming from Packman?
The version in the openSUSE repositories do not support VDPAU at all.

I can only suggest again to try removing libvdpau_va_gl1 if you have it
installed. This worked in the forum thread for the affected persons.
For radeon cards, libvdpau has plugins anyway, called libvdpau_r600 and
libvdpau_radeonsi. But if libvdpau_va_gl1 is installed, this is forced.

And yes, there is a "library problem" with libvdpau_va_gl1, because it forces
its use if it is installed (which means it effectively breaks VDPAU on nvidia
systems, and also causes nvidia-settings not being able to run at all).
But this should only be installed by default on intel systems, or to be more
precise, on systems where xf86-video-intel is installed. (which might be
installed on non-intel systems if you upgraded from older versions I think)

If you don't have libvdpau_va_gl1 installed, try to remove those libvdpau
plugins. And/or try to  select a different video output device in Xine's
settings.

Regarding VLC: according to a post in the forum thread, the VLC packages from
the VideoLAN repo do not seem to have this problem, i.e. one person wrote that
they worked fine, whereas Packman's packages fail to play MP4. The only
difference I can see is that the VideoLAN repo still contains ffmpeg 2.3,
while Packman has 2.6.
So maybe this is a problem in ffmpeg (in combination with VDPAU or
libvdpau_va_gl1), or VLC (and Xine?) still has problems with ffmpeg 2.6.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang