[packman] where did smplayer2 go?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 23 07:12:56 CET 2015

Martin Herkt composed on 2015-03-21 16:16 (UTC+0100):

> As the maintainer of SMPlayer2 (which is now dead and will not be revived) and
> someone who is more or less involved with mpv development, I have to actively
> discourage from using SMPlayer with mpv, and I think it is a really bad move
> to make it the default player backend.

> Support for mpv is so bad it actually succeeds in making the experience worse
> than with MPlayer. SMPlayer’s developers don’t seem interested in implementing
> it properly (i.e. by using either libmpv or at least the JSON IPC support), so
> I’m afraid this isn’t likely to change anytime soon.

> If you do not need a graphical playlist manager, consider using mpv without a
> frontend, as that should cover pretty much everything else with its built-in
> UI and keyboard shortcuts.

Felix Miata composed on 2015-03-09 01:58 (UTC-0400):

>> I've been using smplayer with mpv on 13.1 and TW on a 2.67GHZ Core2Duo and
>> Radeon PCIe since getting several private and public responses Saturday.
>> It's mostly good. Video and sound work well, but with the default skin and
>> DVB satellite transport streams I've been playing, dragging the progress
>> button usually doesn't have any effect, springing back either to wherever it
>> was, or to the start, on release. Only the buttons on either end will
>> reliably advance or reverse, and only by tiny increments, which when a large
>> position change is wanted, takes a really really long time, a ton of
>> clicking, and a lot of mouse movement to undo when overshoot occurs.

> I assume you mean raw MPEG TS dumps. It doesn’t surprise me that seeking
> doesn’t work well with SMPlayer (because it tries to treat mpv like MPlayer),
> but it should work with mpv on its own. Seeking in MPEG TS is hell, though,
> so if you are still experiencing trouble, try remuxing the streams to a format
> like Matroska with e.g. ffmpeg or mkvmerge.

I expect to do so at some point if I can ever find understandable
instructions how to do so for my context. I don't yet know anything about
remuxing beyond its existence.

> If you usually capture these yourself, I can recommend using tvheadend as
> DVR/TV streaming software, as it can do that on the fly and is very easy to
> set up.

I don't know what you mean by "using" streaming software either. I've been
collecting these .ts streams several years off of FTA DVB satellite receivers
that have no editing functions and minimal competence in playback of the
recorded streams they themselves collected on their own internal HDs or on
USB HDs. Each has little/poor to no ability to play streams from the others,
which means if player malfunctions or dies, the file is useless, until I find
Linux PC software I can figure out how to use.

Most of these I've saved are from MPEG4 H.264 DVB-S2 8PSK sources. Some are
not H.264. Some are MPEG2. From all of these I want to eradicate commercials
and save in a format most players can play and skip F/R and play F/R and find
index marks in same manner as DVDs and their players behave. I've made
attempts with Kdenlive, MythTV and a few other listings from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_editing_software without
ever making meaningful progress understanding even the basics.

Life was relatively simple with standalones like the Pioneer DVR-633H,
Pioneer DVR-460H, Magnavox H2160MW9, Magnavox MDR513H and Magnavox MDR515H
and similar, as long as how to manage a collection of DVDs wasn't a problem.
Collecting to HDs ought to result in easier management, but it certainly
hasn't been that way here so far with the lack of cross-device compatibility,
poor playback control, and lack of integral editing fucntions.

Suggestions that have good instructions (man pages don't work for me) really
would be welcome.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/