[packman] Packaging standards dropping?

Shawn W Dunn sfalken at cloverleaf-linux.org
Thu Feb 19 21:09:30 CET 2015

On Thu, 2015-02-19 at 07:58 -0600, Malcolm wrote:
> Hi
> Just an observation that maybe needs clarification to pmbs users, a
> mention on the openSUSE forum of the following package tweaked my
> interest, so went to check it out;
>
> https://pmbs.links2linux.de/package/show/Extra/UEFITool
>
> Why has the pristine tarball been changed, it should be as downloaded,
> yes?
>
> No updated changes file?
>
> No peer review, AFAIK, package updates should be branched into the
> users home project, updated and submitted, not directly committed.
>
> I see no reason for this package not to be built on OBS to help reduce
> build load.

Offhand, it looks as if it is a version bump from 0.20.2 to 0.20.3, but
for some reason, the Maintainer isn't using the proper tarball, or at
lease renaming it in a poor manner....

Upstream @ https://github.com/LongSoft/UEFITool Is showing the 0.20.3
tarball to be named 0.20.3.tar.gz which is a terrible naming convention,
granted, but at least it tells you which version it is.

If a tarball is going to be renamed by the Maintainer for clarity, I
think UEFITool-0.20.3.tar.gz is a far better idea, than just calling it
UEFITool.tar.gz, for traceability.