[packman] mplayer2 state/removal

Martin Herkt lachs0r at srsfckn.biz
Tue Dec 22 11:54:14 CET 2015

On Saturday 19 December 2015 12:30:43 David Haller wrote:
> I always thought it a bit presumptous, that the fork called itself
> mplayer2.

As a player, it definitely was a step forward, and I seriously hope no one is
using MEncoder anymore, given all its flaws and ugly hacks. MEncoder was
removed because it was beyond saving, just like the GUI mode was. There was a
lot of refactoring to be done, and all that old cruft was just getting in the
way. For the majority of use cases, FFmpeg’s command line tool can do the job
just fine.

That said, after a lot of refactoring and more code removal, mpv got encoding
support implemented in a different and better way. The only drawback is that
it can’t do stream copy (due to how it works), but that’s what ffmpeg is for.