[packman] mplayer2 state/removal

Martin Herkt lachs0r at srsfckn.biz
Sat Dec 19 22:31:09 CET 2015

On Saturday 19 December 2015 11:18:54 Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> Okey, I will remove it then.
>
> Just to play nice either mpv or mplayer should provide the mplayer2 to
> allow user to migrate, otherwise they might get quite suprised their media
> player disappeared. Any strong prefference?

While all three players share the same roots, MPlayer lacks some critical
functionality compared to mplayer2, and a lot of mpv’s features and bugfixes.
It’s not nearly as actively maintained as mpv. In my opinion, MPlayer is
perpetually stuck in 2002, and I don’t think that’s what users are looking for
when they try to install mplayer2.

Hence, I think mpv should provide mplayer2 even if it has changed so much that
users coming from the other two players will have to relearn a thing or two.