[packman] How to upgrade XBMC to Kodi

Sagi Ben-Akiva sagiben at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 21:33:28 CET 2014

Yes there is , taken from http://kodi.tv/kodi-14-0-helix-unwinds/ :
"To begin, Kodi has been updated to use FFmpeg 2.4.4. For users, this means
Kodi will now be capable of playing back h.265 (also known as HEVC) and VP9
video codecs. The use of HEVC and VP9 could result in dramatically smaller
video files sizes with exactly the same level of quality. A 40 GB file
could be compressed to 20 GB. Users with particularly large libraries or
interest in 4K video may be especially likely to appreciate this update.
Software support for the VP9 video codec is also included."

While in packman repo ffmpeg is at version 2.3.3
https://pmbs.links2linux.de/package/show/Essentials/ffmpeg

Sagi.