[packman] GStreamer on 13.1

Richard Brown RBrownCCB at opensuse.org
Mon Nov 11 16:24:32 CET 2013

On Mon, 2013-11-11 at 15:10 +0000, Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
> On 11 November 2013 15:02, Richard Brown <RBrownCCB at opensuse.org> wrote:
> > On 11 November 2013 15:57, Cristian Morales Vega <reddwarf at opensuse.org> wrote:
> >> You shouldn't try to install both, only 1.2. Can I see that "auto
> >> solver pop up"?
> >
> > Here it is: http://i2.minus.com/iVUjY1o1xdg4S.png
>
> I don't use Gnome, but that seems to be the "GStreamer-PackageKit integration".
> It appears automatically when you try to play a video for which you
> don't have the decoder?
> If so, trying to install both 1.0 and 1.2 is a bug in the
> "GStreamer-PackageKit integration". You should report it at
> https://bugzilla.novell.com/. If you assign it to the Gnome team I am
> sure you will get a reply soon.
> By the way, the fact that "gstreamer-plugins-base-1.0.10-2.1.3
> (64-bit)" appears twice is clearly an indication that something is
> wrong there.

While I really appreciate your confidence in the GNOME team, as a member
of that team, I can quite comfortably say I don't think it's a problem
with "GStreamer-PackageKit integration" :) (read on for why I think
this..)

> I don't have a 13.1 system yet.
> But you should be able to use zypper to install the GStreamer (1.2)
> packages from Packman manually and then the GStreamer-PackageKit
> integration will not be needed.

...and that is why I think GStreamer-PackageKit isn't the problem. Your
suggestion to install GStreamer 1.2 is exactly what I've already done.
Sorry for not mentioning it earlier

I already *have* all the GStreamer 1.2 packages from Packman manually
installed, but Totem/GStreamer+PackageKit clearly wants the 1.0 (from
13.1 oss repo) as well.
As your (Packmans) 1.2 version have the same package name, file
locations, etc, there's no way to install both, so it would seem I'm
either left with using 13.1-oss-repo's 1.0 packages with only open
codecs supported, or Packmans 1.2 version which does not appear to work
properly with Userspace applications, at least, not Totem, the main
Video player in GNOME in 13.1

I think this is where Tomas is coming from with his suggestion to have
Packman better track the versions in a release. I'm reasonably sure that
if Packman built GStreamer 1.0.x for openSUSE 13.1, I'd be having no
problem at all here.

At least that's the theory I'd like to pursue, unless there is an
absolutely compelling reason why Packman must provide GStreamer 1.2 when
13.1 is released?

I would personally prefer to err on the side of caution and, hopefully,
have a smoother time of playing restricted formats when release day
comes about :)